Fitness apparel and footwear manufacturer Reebok filed trademark applications to register its name in the Metaverse and NFT space.
According to the trademark applications filed with the USPTO on Nov. 18, the company intends to offer:
- Virtual goods, such as footwear, apparel, hats, bags, sports equipment, accessories and more;
- Virtual sporting goods sales services;
- An NFT online marketplace.
Michael Kondoudis, a lawyer specializing in metaverse branding, announced the news on Twitter.
The company has filed 2 applications to trademark its name for:
— Mike Kondoudis (@KondoudisLaw) November 23, 2022
Reebok trademark applications in detail
Following ratification of the trademark applications, Reebok intends to comply;
- Virtual goods include clothing, hats, bags, footwear, sports equipment, accessories, bag wraps, artwork, toys, eyewear, etc.
- Virtual goods, which include multimedia files containing audio, text, video and sports-related artwork for online use in a virtual world.
- Non-fungible tokens (NFTs) backed by a book.
- An online NFT marketplace that allows consumers and sellers to access NFT-supported digital art images and video clips.
- A Reebok retail store service with virtual goods and products for sale to consumers.
Reebok and other sports brands on the web3
Some of these famous brands include Nike and Adidas.
Nike and Adidas seemed to dominate the market with their continuous innovations and NFT and metaverse ambitions.
One of the ways Nike dominated the Metaverse was the launch of Nikeland.
Nike developed Nikeland, a specially designed metaverse.
It uses the Roblox platform to connect and engage with fans and participate in contests and other brand-related activities.
The famous sports brand has also effectively exploited the NFT and branding trend.
The brand bought RTFKT Studios, a well-known FT developer and creator, to launch its first collection of NFT sneakers.
Nike sold 600 pairs of NFT sneakers worth $3.1 million within minutes.
Reebok and its past experiences on the web3
In 2021, Reebok officially partnered with famed American rapper and artist Nast to launch the brand’s exclusive NFT collection on RFOX’s NFT platform.
At the event, the NFTs were distributed en masse and free of charge. Just five minutes after the public launch, the publicly distributed NFTs were aggressively claimed.
At the time, the world’s largest NFT marketplace, OpenSea, estimated the secondary market value of the NFT collection at $250,000.
The NFTs were distributed for free and all were claimed within five minutes of release.
So far, Nike and Adidas continue to lead the market with their NFT and metaverse initiatives.
Follow us on our social networks and keep up to date with everything that happens in the Metaverse!.