Meta has filed five new trademark applications for META PAY, Metaverse trademark attorney Michael Kondoudis revealed in a tweet today. The applications were filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) on May 13, and signal the company’s plans to expand further into Web3.
Meta Platforms (Facebook) has filed 5 trademark applications for META PAY. The applications signal plans for
▶️ Digital, crypto, and virtual currencies
▶️ Financial + currency trading
▶️ Virtual currency services
▶️ Blockchain software#NFTs #Metaverse #Cryptocurrency pic.twitter.com/b7eTmm62Xt
— Mike Kondoudis (@KondoudisLaw) May 18, 2022
The trademark applications indicate plans to offer blockchain software, virtual currency exchanges, cryptocurrency trading, cryptotransaction management and validation, as well as digital, crypto and virtual currencies.
These are the trademark applications
The trademark applications were filed for international classes 9, 35, 36, 36, 42 and 45. The extensive lists of goods and services under the marks include the following:
- Computer software for use with digital, virtual and cryptocurrencies.
- Digitized assets, digital tokens, cryptographic tokens and utility tokens.
- Software to manage and validate digital currency, virtual currency, cryptocurrency, digital asset, blockchain asset, digitized asset, digital token, digital token, crypto token and utility token transactions.
- Software to create a decentralized, open-source virtual currency for use in blockchain-based transactions
- Blockchain as a service, namely, business advice and information in the field of blockchain technology
- Cryptocurrency exchange services and cryptocurrency payment processing.
- Software for sending, receiving, accepting, buying, selling, storing, transmitting, trading and exchanging digital currency, virtual currency, cryptocurrency, digital and blockchain assets, digitized assets, digital tokens, crypto tokens and utility tokens
- Online social networking service for investors that enables financial transactions and exchange of digital currency, virtual currency, cryptocurrency, digital assets and blockchain.
- Blockchain and distributed ledger technologies.
The latest trademark filings come after Facebook Pay was renamed MetaPay last week. They also come after Meta filed for its logo as the company expands its reach on the Web3.
“We expect the number of trademark applications for virtual financial services and cryptocurrencies in the social networking sector to increase as these companies plan to position themselves on the financial side of the metaverse,” Kondoudis said.
Financial Times revealed last month that Meta Financial Technologies has plans to introduce virtual tokens for the company’s metaverse.
Meta’s other recent moves in the Web3 space include testing NFT features on Instagram, which began last week with a small group of U.S.-based creators and collectors.