The Axie Infinity development team announced the first steps it will take to secure its Ronin network, with the addition of 5 validators to its group of nodes.
Last week’s security breach has served as a potent reminder of the importance of truly distributed networks.
— Ronin (@Ronin_Network) April 5, 2022
The Axie Infinity team will incorporate at least 21 validation nodes with independent features to provide greater security to the network.
Why did Axie Infinity make this decision?
On March 23, Axie Infinity issued a statement reporting that it had detected how the Ronin validator nodes of Sky Mavis and Axie DAO had been compromised.
During this security breach, 173,600 ETH and 25.5 million USDC were confirmed to have been drained, which by that time amounted to more than $600 million.
Following the cyber attack and theft, the Ronin and Katana team halted operations until they could ensure that the network was secure again, which led to a request for support from various experts.
This situation led to a delay in the launch of Origin, the new version of Axie Infinity, which was initially scheduled for March 31.
Investigations are still ongoing. Various projects and agencies are involved.
The team said they were fully committed to restoring the funds that had been removed. However, their options were not published as a result of the investigation.
At the moment they are planning to activate at least 21 independent validation nodes, which guarantee the collective security of the network.
As part of the planning, two general steps are proposed to achieve the objectives:
- Add more independent organizations to the validation nodes: for this purpose, a cooperation agreement was developed with 5 organizations, which will be in charge of the validation process.
- Improve the source code to achieve a better security function and decentralization: this will allow establishing new limits on transactions, as well as governance functions.
These will be the new 5 validators for the nodes
These will be the initial organizations that will provide validation support on the first 21 nodes proposed by the joint development team of Ronin, Sky Mavis and Axie Infinity:
- Delphi Digital: is a consulting, research and advisory company focused primarily on the current digital asset market.
- Animoca Brands: is a project primarily focused on investing within the NFT space, offering ownership rights to users.
- Dialectic: company focused on the deployment of alternative assets, financial and human capital.
- Nansen: this platform is dedicated to Blockchain analysis, allowing to enrich the tag data of various wallets.
SatableNode: is a company dedicated to the research and investment of governance systems for NFT and DeFí spaces.
New organizations are planned to actively contribute with research and security improvements, so Axie Infinity and Sky Mavis opened a registration system to become validators.
WARNING: This is an informational article. Geek Metaverse is a media outlet, it does not promote, endorse or recommend any particular investment. It is worth noting that cryptoasset investments are not regulated in some countries. They may not be appropriate for retail investors, as the full amount invested could be lost. Check your country’s laws before investing.